Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Grilled Jalapeno Popper Squash Casserole

Grilled Jalapeño Popper Squash Casserole
 
 
 
You may of noticed a theme in my most recent rash of recipes. Squash. I am trying to keep a happy face with every batch that comes in from the garden. I tell myself- $1.89 a lb... The current cost of fresh squash at the grocery stores here. We are rich!
 
Today's adventure is totally off the cuff.
 
In a disposable foil pan, add enough coconut (or olive) oil to coat the bottom.
Place a single layer of thin sliced bacon strips (cut the strips to fit, or into bite sized pieces if you like.) into the pan.
 
 Next, I added sliced squash. I cut it about 1/4 inch thick. I added two layers, because that will feed the four of us. I used both yellow and zucchini squash. Over each layer, I sprinkled garlic powder and Tony Chachere's  Creole seasoning.
 
Then, I sliced several jalapeño peppers lengthwise, and removed the seeds. (Recommend gloves for this!) I laid these cut side UP on top of the squash.
 
I filled each of the jalapeños with ricotta cheese, then dolloped more ricotta between the peppers.
 
Add a generous sprinkling of shredded cheddar cheese.
 
Finish with more thin sliced bacon strips.
 
I plan to grill this until it is done- squash tender and I HOPE the bacon on top crisps up. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment