Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Fried Green ~ Pickled Tomatoes

Fried Green ~ Pickled Tomatoes

In looking for ways to use green tomatoes this summer, I tried pickled refrigerator tomatoes from a recipe* I had looked up online.
Me being me... I really tried to follow their recipe, but made it my own.
This recipe needs to be started at least three days to three weeks ahead.
For Pickled Tomatoes:
Sterilize three (pint) jars.
Wash and slice Green tomatoes, stacking the slices tightly into the jars. Don't worry about leaving headroom, you need them unable to float! (Be sure you use tomatoes that have not begun to ripen at all.)
Add a hot pepper or two (or three!) to the jars as you fill them.
(I used fresh ripe cayenne in some, and some strips of extra hot jalapeno to others.) (This jar was opened and is mostly eaten. Once they are done, people just can't stay out of them!)
In a saucepan, bring to a boil:
2 cups apple cider vinegar
2 cups water
1 tablespoon minced garlic (I used jarred, you may have fresh!)
4 teaspoons salt (I use Himalayan pink salt)
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon of dill seed
1 teaspoon course grind black pepper
Boil until sugar is dissolved.
(At this point, the original* recipe called to add 2 tablespoons of Bourbon. In my first batch, I left it out completely. In my second batch, I substituted rum due to allergy concerns with my visiting family. Third batch, I added Jack Daniel's whiskey. The recipe was great in all its modifications!) (Rum is Gluten Free)
Pour the pickling liquid over the jarred tomatoes, completely submerging them.
Cap the jars, and set them into the refrigerator for AT LEAST 3 days. (They will keep up to 3 weeks.)

OK. We are ready to fry some up!
My breading mix is Gluten Free:
1 cup almond flour
1 cup tapioca flour (Aka Tapioca starch) (Corn starch will also work)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon each: garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika
I combine this in a gallon bag.

Heat your favorite frying oil to 375*

Drain the pickled tomatoes. Shake a few at a time in the bag of breading. Lay them out on a piece of waxed paper (or whatever!) as your oil heats. Once the oil reaches temperature, fry the tomatoes to a golden brown. Drain on absorbent toweling, and serve. (I sprinkle with additional salt to taste, and sometimes even a bit of Parmesan cheese.)

*I found the original recipe at "Love & Olive Oil"  (https://www.loveandoliveoil.com/2014/10/pickled-green-tomatoes.html)

No comments:

Post a Comment