Monday, July 8, 2013

Dill Relish

Dill (Squash) Relish
Once again, I forge a path because I cannot find a recipe I like!
 
8 cups chopped zucchini squash
2 cups chopped fresh onion
3 jalapeño peppers (or to taste)
1 cup chopped sweet peppers (I used a mixture of red, orange and yellow. Green is acceptable if you like green!)
1/4 cup salt (I used Himalayan pink salt because it is what I have on hand)
2 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
2 1/2 cups water
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
2 teaspoons dry dill (use fresh if you have it, increase quantity to 1/4 cup chopped)
2 large cloves roasted garlic, chopped fine (Remember a clove is a segment of the HEAD of garlic!)
1 tablespoon sugar (optional... I added it to the mix so included it here)
1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (also optional)
 
Chop the vegetables and mix with the salt.
I did NOT cover with water this time, but did refrigerate mixture several hours (or overnight if convenient)
 
Rinse the vegetables several times and drain well.
 
In a non-aluminum pot, bring the vinegar, water, and spices to a boil. Add the vegetable mixture. Return to boil and cook 15 minutes.
 
Ladle into sterile jars.
Wipe rims.
 Add lids and rings.
Process in boiling water bath 10 minutes.
Remove from boiling water, allow to cool.
 Check seals.
The dill relish needs to mature several weeks to develop best flavor.



No comments:

Post a Comment