Thursday, October 29, 2015

Chicken, Cabbage, Tomatillo Soup

Any time I have the guys ASK to take soup in their lunch boxes, or request I warm it up for the next meal, I know I have a winner. I tried the original recipe for Beef and Cabbage soup in Tomatillo Broth at Hispanickitchen.com . I followed their recipe quite closely (for me!).  Dan and I gobbled down nearly  the entire pot, leaving barely enough for Tom and Sam to get a bowl each.

I decided to try my own version:
Chicken Cabbage and Tomatillo Soup
2 or 3 chicken leg quarters
Chicken Stock, 6 cups
celery- 2 ribs, chopped
onion- chopped (I used one medium sweet onion)
garlic= minced (Heaping teaspoon- +/- however much YOU like)
4- 6 fresh mushrooms- sliced (I used Portobello)
(olive oil)
cabbage (1/2 small head) (chopped)
kale- 6 ribs, (washed and chopped) (ribs removed)
collard greens, washed and chopped (used 3 large leaves) (ribs removed)
turnip greens, washed and chopped (used 3 or 4 leaves) (ribs removed)
1 squash- rough chopped or sliced (Have used yellow and zucchini, either works, or both) (Added leftover acorn squash)
3-4 tomatillos- chopped fine or slightly pureed
chopped green chiles- 7 oz can
rotel (or roma tomatoes and jalapeno peppers) (used a 16 oz jar of home canned)
Oregano 1/2 tsp/ to taste
cumin 1/2 tsp
celery powder 1/2 tsp/ to taste
turmeric 1 tsp / to taste
salt- to taste
pepper- to taste
Boil leg quarters in chicken stock. Remove quarters from stock when cooked, remove and discard skin and bones. Coarse chop chicken, return to broth.
While quarters are boiling, sauté celery and onions in olive oil. When onions are translucent, add minced garlic (fresh or from a jar) and several sliced mushrooms. Cook briefly.
Chop the greens. Add the greens, rotel, chopped green chilies, sautéed mixture and squash.
Add seasoning. Cook until greens/ squash are tender. Adjust seasoning.

May be served with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment