Saturday, January 8, 2011

Saucy Little Meatloaves


Saucy Little Meatloaves
My version, rewarmed the next day!
I decided to make the delicious "Saucy Little Meatloaves" from page 19 of my "Food For Fellowship" cookbook that I compiled back in 1989 (or thereabouts) for the members of the church we attended, the now defunct Rose Of Sharon, in Ft. Worth, Texas.

The meatloaf recipe was sent in by my Aunt Jean Callahan, but it was my cousin Jeanie's recipe. I looked it up yesterday, and then made small meatloaves without following the recipe at all. I will share both here- Jeanie's is excellent, and mine was pretty good as well.

Jeanie's Original recipe:
1 1/2 lb. ground beef
3/4 C. uncooked oatmeal
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup milk
Mix together and form into 6 small loaves.

Topping:
mix together:

 1/3 c. catsup
1 Tbs. brown sugar
1 Tbs. mustard (prepared yellow mustard)

Spread on loaves.
Bake at 350* for 20-25 minutes, until done.

Tammy's Original Recipe:
1 lb. ground beef
3/4 c. crushed Ritz (type) crackers. (I used Keebler Town House Toppers)
1 egg, beaten
1 small can tomato paste
1 Tbs. whatsthishere sauce (Worcestershire, for those of you unrelated)
1/4 c. chopped onion (I was out of onion, used 1 TBS dried minced onion)

Mix together and form into 4 loaves. Place in greased baking pan. (I used a cast iron skillet that I had cooked bacon in earlier, and drained off the grease. A two-fer use before washing!)

Top each raw loaf with bottled BBQ sauce- about a tablespoon each. (I used Sweet Baby Ray's because I had it on hand, and happened to find it before I found the mustard to make Jeanie's topping.)

Bake at 350* for 25-35 minutes, until done.

I did find mine a little dry, so next time I will try it with at least 1/4 cup of milk.) I didn't add salt and pepper to mine before cooking, preferring to allow "salt to taste" on each person's plate.



No comments:

Post a Comment