Thursday, January 13, 2011

Italian Chicken in the Slow Cooker / Crock Pot

Italian Chicken (Crock Pot)
Chicken Breasts (I used boneless/ skinless)
Canned tomatoes (I used stewed and petite diced)
tomato paste
Garlic (I used minced from a jar)
Onion, chopped
Italian seasoning blend
Basil (I used both dried, and fresh because I had it on hand)
Salt to taste

Cooked pasta or rice

I started with chopping an onion. Put it in the crock of the slow cooker.
Add a generous amount (I used about a tablespoon) of minced garlic. (Hey, we LIKE garlic!)
I then added boneless skinless chicken breasts. These were frozen when I put them in, since I never think to start meals soon enough.
Next I dumped a can (14.5 oz) each of  diced tomatoes and stewed tomatoes.
I added a can (6 oz) of tomato paste later, when I saw this was not going to be as thick as I like it.
(One can of each because I am only cooking for TWO today! If the kids were home, I would probably have either used larger cans of tomatoes, or more cans)
Sprinkle a light amount of Italian seasoning, and basil, over the top.
This should take about four hours on "High" in the slow cooker, six to eight hours on low... depending on several factors: Thawed or frozen chicken, how hot the slow cooker gets, how many pieces of chicken are in the pot... etc...

Serve over prepared pasta or rice, garnish with fresh basil if you have it!


No comments:

Post a Comment