Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Stuffed Pork Chops

Tom and I found some "extra thick" pork chops on markdown the other day. (What can I say? I am so cheap frugal that I almost never buy meat unless it is on markdown.)
They went into the freezer with no specific plan in mind. I pulled them out yesterday to thaw- forgetting I already had thawed hamburger in the fridge! So the chops went into the fridge for a good, slow thaw overnight.

Today I wondered just how I was going to cook said chops. I decided to try stuffing them.
I set my cast iron skillet on high, with a dash of olive oil in it. While it heated, I cut deep slits into the sides of the chops, opening a pocket to put the stuffing in. I then tossed them into the hot skillet, and seared each side.

While the chops seared, I mixed together one  apple (chopped and peeled), a half a cup of chopped onion, 1/2 cup of (whole wheat) panko bread crumbs, and 1/2 cup of chopped butternut squash (I had some uncooked in the freezer from a couple weeks ago), and one egg. I seasoned it with sage, garlic, salt, and red pepper.

I carefully opened up the slits and poked the pork chops full of the stuffing, leaving the chops right there in the hot skillet. What stuffing didn't fit inside of the chops I sprinkled over the top.

Bake until done- about 45 minutes, to an hour at 325*
Be sure you get the pork cooked completely through! It takes longer to cook with the stuffing in them. (Meat thermometer should read 160* in the thickest portion.)

Will these be a hit? We shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment